Sunday, March 28, 2010

Only Guy With Tie Turns 80


That would be Sir Anerood Jugnauth (SAJ), the second Prime Minister of Mauritius. In this picture which must be about half a century old he is standing next to my dad. SSB is also in there (in the middle of the front row).

I remember picking up our phone once back in the early 1970s and hearing a guy answer Anerood Jugnauth when I asked de la part de qui? I immediately put the phone on the smaller table of the study of the guy who never found a good book he could resist and went to look for Bhai Kher quite puzzled. 

"Dad", I whispered, "you will never believe who's on the phone?" He rushed to take the call as soon as he had deciphered what I was saying. I followed him at a distance to check the tone one should use when talking to the enemy.

I was dumbfounded when I didn't notice any sparks right at the beginning. In fact there were to be none whatsoever.

Anyway, Happy Birthday tomorrow Mr. President and... enjoy your dinner.

No comments: